“But, Mom! I really want a horse this year for Christmas,” exclaimed Aisling. “You know how long I’ve wanted one and even you said you used to ride horses.”
“That is true. I did tell you that, but that still doesn’t mean I can get you one for Christmas,” said her mother.
For as long as Aisling can remember, she has always wanted a horse from the Emerald Isle. She remembers all the stories her mother has told her about when she was a little girl growing up on a farm in Ireland and how she always wanted a horse but couldn’t afford one. Aisling never told her mother this, but the only reason why she wanted one was to make her mother’s dream come true, as well as her own. She remembers her mother describing the majestic beasts that used to run freely on the grassy plains, how their world seemed so much simpler than hers. For hours, she used to sit and watch them. She never did receive one, even for the amount of times she pleaded with her own parents to get one.
Aisling has been begging her mother for a horse constantly since she knew her mother was due for a trip to the Isle at any time. She knew what she wanted: a Thoroughbred from the Connemara Coast. A fourteen hands -high stallion, chestnut in color that was strong enough to carry two people, her mother and herself.
But getting one would be hard to come by. No matter how much both mother and daughter wanted a horse, there wasn’t any possible way to purchase one. Times were tough and it was even hard to book a flight to Ireland and stay a few days. Aisling’s mother, however, thought that if she couldn’t give her daughter a horse for Christmas, the least she could do was show her Ireland and the majesty of it. She booked a flight for the following day and soon they were off to the Emerald Isle.
The flight from America to Ireland couldn’t seem to end any faster. Once in Ireland, Aisling and her mother rented a car and drove around on the Westside of Ireland to the place where her personal horse was possibly waiting. Her mother had made the plans while Aisling was sleeping. She called an old friend of hers who just happened to own a horse ranch and asked if she could possibly show her daughter his stable; he happily agreed.
The two of them were driving along the coast, scanning the horizon for any sign of wild horses. Aisling’s mother came to a fork in the road and followed that for a few miles until a driveway made itself known. She took the driveway and as she did, Aisling gasped at the view in front of her: a house set on a sizeable piece of land with three stables proportionally located and enough pasture for the horses to graze upon for hours. It was a quaint little setting and Aisling couldn’t help but stare and wonder quietly who owned this wonderful place.
Her mother pulled up to the house and Duff appeared from the door. He smiled and walked down the steps to their car and helped them unload. Aisling was astonished. Nothing came to mind as she stared at the scene in front of her.
Duff laughed his hearty laugh and said, “So this must be Aisling. I see you have taken notice to all the horses I have. Would you care to see them?”
Aisling looked to her mother and nodded her head in agreement. They took their bags into the house and casually strolled to the stables. Duff told Aisling all about them and how they came to Ireland. He even mentioned how he came about his first horse.
They reached the first stable and Aisling couldn’t help but gape at the horses in front of her. She tried to think of something to say but came up blank. She kept staring, memorizing what she saw so as not to forget it when they returned home. Duff patiently waited for a response from Aisling, but seeing she couldn’t respond, just smiled and coaxed her closer to the stalls.
“Come have a look see, lass. This babe was just born three days ago,” Duff stated, hiding a smile.
“Would you like to pet him, Aisling?”
“Oh, yes!” exclaimed Aisling. She pressed her body up against the gate of the stall and stuck her hand out as if it were a puppy, wary of the stranger in front of it. The tiny pony was hesitant, but once it looked into Aisling’s innocent eyes, it pranced over to her to get a closer look.
While Aisling and the colt were getting to know one another, Duff and Aisling’s mother spoke in hushed tones. When they weren’t, they were grinning at the sight of the newborn horse and the ecstatic girl.
Duff walked over to the girl and horse, with the girl’s mother by his side. He patted the colt’s head and spoke to Aisling.
“Lass, so I hear you want a horse for Christmas, is that right?” Aisling nodded, not knowing where he was headed. “Well, I know times are hard and according to your mother, you really, really want a horse so I made her a deal.”
Aisling broke in, wary. “What did Mom promise you?” She didn’t want to carry a burden for this selfish wish even if it did satisfy her mother’s own wish.
Duff laughed. “She promised me that if you ever needed help, money for feed, equipment, lessons, so on, she would call me. Oh, don’t cry!” Aisling began to weep, not because she got her horse, but because her mom went out of the way to give her what she wanted. Aisling didn’t deserve this, her mother did.
“Duff. I’m sorry, but I can’t take this beautiful colt. No matter how much I want one, I don’t truly deserve it. Mom has been talking about her childhood lately and it breaks my heart to know that she never got one. She does too much to not deserve this pretty fella.” She patted the colt on the head and talked to him. “Mom deserves you much more than I do but I’ve wanted one like you for so long. You are the perfect color, you’re from Ireland, and most of all I would love you, not that Mom wouldn’t. What do you say? Would you like to go to America?” The colt nudged Aisling in agreement. “That settles it. Mom, this is your horse more than mine but I will help you since he is the ideal one. Duff, I guess I have to thank you. Not only for making my wish come true, but for Mom’s as well. I’ll be...”
Duff cut her off mid-sentence. “Aisling. There is no need to thank me. It was your mother’s idea to bring you over and take this colt home. It has been yours since yesterday. She has been dying to tell you but knew it would ruin the surprise. I mean, you are surprised, right?”
“Of course, I’m surprised. I know Mom can’t afford it but I guess with the deal you made with her, I have to accept what is given.” She ran to her mom and gave her the biggest hug she had ever given. With tears streaming down her face, she thanked her mom over and over. She finally got her pony she always dreamed of.
Once Aisling’s eyes were dry of tears, her mother looked down at her and asked, “So what are you going to name it, sweetie?”
Aisling had thought about names for her perfect pony a million times but considering he was from Ireland, he should have an Irish name. “I’m going to name him Derry, ya know, like the city. It just fits with his origins and I hope you’re okay with that. I had other names but I think this one will fit him better than all the rest.”
“Of course, it’s okay. I couldn’t have picked a better name myself.”
The flight home couldn’t have taken any longer. Aisling wanted her pony to be on her land, to see him roam. She wanted to see her mother’s face light up at the new creature amongst them. She just wanted to be glad that both her and her mother’s wishes came true. If it wasn’t for Duff, this wouldn’t have happened and for that, Aisling was grateful to him.
*Thank you to Arlene for helping me decide which type of pony this young lady got. Without her poem about the Connemara Pony, this wouldn't have been possible.*
“That is true. I did tell you that, but that still doesn’t mean I can get you one for Christmas,” said her mother.
For as long as Aisling can remember, she has always wanted a horse from the Emerald Isle. She remembers all the stories her mother has told her about when she was a little girl growing up on a farm in Ireland and how she always wanted a horse but couldn’t afford one. Aisling never told her mother this, but the only reason why she wanted one was to make her mother’s dream come true, as well as her own. She remembers her mother describing the majestic beasts that used to run freely on the grassy plains, how their world seemed so much simpler than hers. For hours, she used to sit and watch them. She never did receive one, even for the amount of times she pleaded with her own parents to get one.
Aisling has been begging her mother for a horse constantly since she knew her mother was due for a trip to the Isle at any time. She knew what she wanted: a Thoroughbred from the Connemara Coast. A fourteen hands -high stallion, chestnut in color that was strong enough to carry two people, her mother and herself.
But getting one would be hard to come by. No matter how much both mother and daughter wanted a horse, there wasn’t any possible way to purchase one. Times were tough and it was even hard to book a flight to Ireland and stay a few days. Aisling’s mother, however, thought that if she couldn’t give her daughter a horse for Christmas, the least she could do was show her Ireland and the majesty of it. She booked a flight for the following day and soon they were off to the Emerald Isle.
The flight from America to Ireland couldn’t seem to end any faster. Once in Ireland, Aisling and her mother rented a car and drove around on the Westside of Ireland to the place where her personal horse was possibly waiting. Her mother had made the plans while Aisling was sleeping. She called an old friend of hers who just happened to own a horse ranch and asked if she could possibly show her daughter his stable; he happily agreed.
The two of them were driving along the coast, scanning the horizon for any sign of wild horses. Aisling’s mother came to a fork in the road and followed that for a few miles until a driveway made itself known. She took the driveway and as she did, Aisling gasped at the view in front of her: a house set on a sizeable piece of land with three stables proportionally located and enough pasture for the horses to graze upon for hours. It was a quaint little setting and Aisling couldn’t help but stare and wonder quietly who owned this wonderful place.
Her mother pulled up to the house and Duff appeared from the door. He smiled and walked down the steps to their car and helped them unload. Aisling was astonished. Nothing came to mind as she stared at the scene in front of her.
Duff laughed his hearty laugh and said, “So this must be Aisling. I see you have taken notice to all the horses I have. Would you care to see them?”
Aisling looked to her mother and nodded her head in agreement. They took their bags into the house and casually strolled to the stables. Duff told Aisling all about them and how they came to Ireland. He even mentioned how he came about his first horse.
They reached the first stable and Aisling couldn’t help but gape at the horses in front of her. She tried to think of something to say but came up blank. She kept staring, memorizing what she saw so as not to forget it when they returned home. Duff patiently waited for a response from Aisling, but seeing she couldn’t respond, just smiled and coaxed her closer to the stalls.
“Come have a look see, lass. This babe was just born three days ago,” Duff stated, hiding a smile.
“Would you like to pet him, Aisling?”
“Oh, yes!” exclaimed Aisling. She pressed her body up against the gate of the stall and stuck her hand out as if it were a puppy, wary of the stranger in front of it. The tiny pony was hesitant, but once it looked into Aisling’s innocent eyes, it pranced over to her to get a closer look.
While Aisling and the colt were getting to know one another, Duff and Aisling’s mother spoke in hushed tones. When they weren’t, they were grinning at the sight of the newborn horse and the ecstatic girl.
Duff walked over to the girl and horse, with the girl’s mother by his side. He patted the colt’s head and spoke to Aisling.
“Lass, so I hear you want a horse for Christmas, is that right?” Aisling nodded, not knowing where he was headed. “Well, I know times are hard and according to your mother, you really, really want a horse so I made her a deal.”
Aisling broke in, wary. “What did Mom promise you?” She didn’t want to carry a burden for this selfish wish even if it did satisfy her mother’s own wish.
Duff laughed. “She promised me that if you ever needed help, money for feed, equipment, lessons, so on, she would call me. Oh, don’t cry!” Aisling began to weep, not because she got her horse, but because her mom went out of the way to give her what she wanted. Aisling didn’t deserve this, her mother did.
“Duff. I’m sorry, but I can’t take this beautiful colt. No matter how much I want one, I don’t truly deserve it. Mom has been talking about her childhood lately and it breaks my heart to know that she never got one. She does too much to not deserve this pretty fella.” She patted the colt on the head and talked to him. “Mom deserves you much more than I do but I’ve wanted one like you for so long. You are the perfect color, you’re from Ireland, and most of all I would love you, not that Mom wouldn’t. What do you say? Would you like to go to America?” The colt nudged Aisling in agreement. “That settles it. Mom, this is your horse more than mine but I will help you since he is the ideal one. Duff, I guess I have to thank you. Not only for making my wish come true, but for Mom’s as well. I’ll be...”
Duff cut her off mid-sentence. “Aisling. There is no need to thank me. It was your mother’s idea to bring you over and take this colt home. It has been yours since yesterday. She has been dying to tell you but knew it would ruin the surprise. I mean, you are surprised, right?”
“Of course, I’m surprised. I know Mom can’t afford it but I guess with the deal you made with her, I have to accept what is given.” She ran to her mom and gave her the biggest hug she had ever given. With tears streaming down her face, she thanked her mom over and over. She finally got her pony she always dreamed of.
Once Aisling’s eyes were dry of tears, her mother looked down at her and asked, “So what are you going to name it, sweetie?”
Aisling had thought about names for her perfect pony a million times but considering he was from Ireland, he should have an Irish name. “I’m going to name him Derry, ya know, like the city. It just fits with his origins and I hope you’re okay with that. I had other names but I think this one will fit him better than all the rest.”
“Of course, it’s okay. I couldn’t have picked a better name myself.”
The flight home couldn’t have taken any longer. Aisling wanted her pony to be on her land, to see him roam. She wanted to see her mother’s face light up at the new creature amongst them. She just wanted to be glad that both her and her mother’s wishes came true. If it wasn’t for Duff, this wouldn’t have happened and for that, Aisling was grateful to him.
*Thank you to Arlene for helping me decide which type of pony this young lady got. Without her poem about the Connemara Pony, this wouldn't have been possible.*
No thanks necessary, as always. I love this story. Will there be more? :)
ReplyDelete